One of the emerging trends in online marketing is certainly influencer marketing
Online marketing has been under a lot of scrutiny over the past few years. The reason for this is the fast-changing environment and trends that keep changing the game. They keep altering the way marketers use different strategies and tools to improve their online marketing efforts.
Online marketing has been under a lot of scrutiny over the past few years. The reason for this is the fast-changing environment and trends that keep changing the game. They keep altering the way marketers use different strategies and tools to improve their online marketing efforts. One of the emerging trends in online marketing is certainly influencer marketing.
What is influencer marketing?Influencer marketing, also known as influence marketing, is a type of marketing focused on working with individuals who have a certain influence on potential buyers and thus this influence helps them sway the audience and affect their buying habits. Instead of thinking about a target group directly, in influence marketing your efforts are aimed at a person or a group, that will indirectly promote your brand.
Image: UnsplashInfluencers are individuals who enjoy a certain power to persuade their followers and change their opinion on certain matters or products. The process of building influence is slow and difficult, but earning influence opens up so many opportunities to the influencer, which is why it’s worth it in the long run. The characteristics of influencers include:
- Being an expert in the industry
- Knowing the market and current trends
- Having the group of followers and supporters
- Earning their trust
- Knowing the group well and being able to address them directly
How to start?If you want to explore the opportunities and use influencer marketing to promote your own business, here are a couple of guidelines to help you get started.
Identify the influencersTo begin with influencer marketing, you’ll need to identify the influencers in your industry. It’s true that in influencer marketing, you’re interested in working with an individual, but to make this collaboration a success, you’ll need to find influencers whose target group matches yours. You see, there is no point in working with an influencer in the fashion industry if your main products are kids’ toys. You also need to think about location as a factor when choosing an influencer to work with. Looking for global influencers when you have a local business is just useless. A most common place to look for the influencer is social media, but besides social media influence, you should always take into account their blog or website, and other channels you can find that can help you assess their influence in the online world. Here are a couple of tools to help you find influencers:
- Buzzsumo – When you search for a specific topic, you get the list of influencers and bloggers related to the topic ranked based on the metrics such as page and domain authority, followers number, retweet ratio, etc. The paid plans are available which include more complex outreach features, filters, and reporting tools.
- Followerwonk – This software helps you search for influencers on Twitter. It allows sorting of the influencers using different filters as well as comparing them using “Compare Users” feature. The free version offers one profile and limited access for finding and analyzing influencers.
- Keyhole – This is the hashtag and keyword tracking tool that helps you find relevant content and influencers. The tool offers some basic data for free, while you will need to sign up for a paid account to see all the details.
- Klout – It allows analysis and measurement of the individual’s influence on social networks, which is expressed with Klout score, a numerical value between 1 and 100.
- Kred – This tool uses an algorithm to calculate two scores called “influence” and “outreach”. Twitter and Facebook activities contribute to the score and are measured to calculate the influence.
Rank the influencersOnce you identify the influencers, rank them. You might end up working with one or more influencers, but ranking them in the order of importance will help you determine which of them to approach first. The ranking system works like this:
- Evaluate the influencer’s influence
- Evaluate the influencer’s power of conviction
- Compare the metrics
- Determine how likely you are to entice the influencer to work with you